Today is December 1 and that means Christmas is Downtown is just a couple days away. This year’s event is this Saturday – December 3 from 3 – 6 p.m. We’ll have lots of other events going on before and after the 3-6 plans though so be sure to pay special attention to the program.
First things first. When you arrive at Christmas in Downtown be sure to pick up a program. It will contain the below list of activities complete with a map to help you navigate all the sales, free stuff and fun activities. It will also contain the $100 Giveaway Card. You just have to take that card to 10 participating businesses and have it marked. Then return your card to the Chamber Office by 5:55 p.m. to be entered in a drawing for $100 cash! Thanks to Juvenile/Probate Judge Bob Grillo for sponsoring this contest.
The program also contains a Decorating Contest Ballot. Be sure to vote for your favorite business! Thanks to the Vinton County CVB for sponsoring our contest this year.
There will be a Craft Sale and Chinese Auction starting at 11 a.m. plus there’s a parade at 6 p.m. and a dance at 7 p.m. to name just a few things going on. Here’s the complete list of offerings:
1. Visitors’ Center/Chamber Office: Refreshments provided by McArthur BPW. Detailed event programs and $100 drawing tickets available. Joy Dickerson will offer Holiday Instant Poems. People’s Choice Decorating Award presented at 5:50 p.m. – view the local businesses’ lights and VOTE HERE for your favorite. Thanks to the Boy Scouts for distributing programs tonight!
2. Bright Star Satellite: Door prize.
3. McArthur Village Hall/Police Department: Door prize drawing for $25.00 cash.
4. Remember When . . . Antiques and More: Twenty percent off any purchase of $50 or more. Drawing for free gift certificate.
5. Vinton County Courier: Refreshments and giveaways.
6. Salyer and Griffith, Attorneys at Law: Door prize drawing and live choir.
7. Vinton County National Bank: Decorate farm animal cookies, coloring. Christmas stories by Vinton County Unity. VCU will also sell suckers, soda and Blingo tickets outside. Outside: Beckie’s Home Bakery will be outside with baked goods for sale and free samples.
8. Mama Renie’s Restaurant**: 12 inch, 1 item pizza for $5.00 (3p.m. to 6 p.m. only). Al Harper will perform from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
9. Style Shop: Door prize. Open house with refreshments.
10. Booth Real Estate and Insurance: Free goodies and refreshments.
11. Percellis Pizza (417 S. Market)**: Santa Buck’s coupon available at the Chamber Office.
12. United Methodist Church: Sanctuary– front entrance: Christmas Caroling from 3:15 – 3:45 and organ music from 3:45 p.m. to 6 p.m. Each family will receive a remembrance item when they visit. Church basement – rear entrance: Shepherd’s House Chinese Auction and Silent Auction from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Drawing at 4 p.m.
13. Sheriff’s Office: Cookies and cider.
14. Vinton County Court House: Visit Santa after the parade. Live Music on the Courthouse steps. See program for schedule. The Ronald McDonald Care Mobile will be open. Little Vikes Child Care will have cookie decorating for kids. Coloring contest pictures, including winners, will be displayed (the elementary schools were invited to participate). Social Services Council will sell popcorn to benefit the Warm Winter Project.
15. Goodwill: Free cookies and punch.
16. Mullins Pizza**: Free hot chocolate and cookies. Cheeseburger and small fries for $2.99 and pizza by the slice for $1.50.
17. Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library: Festival of Trees. 4-H/Extension: Petting zoo and horse rides (weather permitting). Vinton County Unity: will teach line dancing (Cha-Cha Slide, the Cupid Shuffle, the Macarena, and the Electric Slide), will do face painting/tattoos for $1 and will sell suckers, soda and Blingo tickets.
18. Circle Pizza: 18” 1 item pizza for $9.99 (3 p.m. to 6 p.m. only).
19. Subway**: Any regular footlong for $5 (3 p.m. to 6 p.m. only).
20. Vinton County Floral: Door prize.
21. McArthur BP: Live Radio (WKOV) Remote from the Big Red Boombox from 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Sponsored by Grange Insurance Company. See Radio for giveaways.
22. Vinton County National Bank Customer Service: The Commoner Journal: “Deck Yourself Contest” where the CJ will encourage participants to decorate each other in the garland/Christmas ornaments provided. The CJ will take pictures of all participants and people can visit their site later to vote for their favorites. Fudge tray raffle. Southern Ohio Gymnastics Association: split the pot. VCHS Pep Club: VC Christmas ornaments for sale, raffle for a VC wreath and baked goods.
23. WesBanco: Drawing for a movie basket (includes a portable dvd player, movie and snacks) and treat bags for kids and adults.
24. Dodrill Realty: Cookies and door prize.
25. Vinton County Treasurer Vicki Maxwell: Free hot chocolate outside the Eagles.
26. McClure’s**: Buy any sandwich and get a small shake for $.50.
27. The Main Eatery: Free hot chocolate and cookies for the kids. Bring your camera for pictures with Santa from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
28. R & C Quickstop (US Route 50 West)**: Large fountain drink & hot sub for $3.99 (3p.m. to 6 p.m. only).
29. Presbyterian Church: Vinton Industries will host a craft sale from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Moonville Rail Trail Assoc. will sell light food including lunch foods and baked goods.
30. Garrett-Cardaras Funeral Home: Remembrance Tree. Free wagon rides will begin and end here. Although free, tickets are needed & can be picked up here. Rides sponsored by Garrett Cardaras Funeral Home. VCHS Choir/Drama Boosters will sell coffee.
31. Vinton County Clerk of Courts, Title Department: Lisa Gilliland, Vinton County Clerk of Courts, will host an open house at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles with cookies and candy, a door prize for adults and one for kids.
11 —4 p.m. Chinese Auction and Silent Auction United Methodist Church
11 —6 p.m. Craft Sale at the McArthur Presbyterian Church
3 —4:30 4 This Cause at the Courthouse Gazebo
3– 3:45 Zaleski Freewill Baptist Church Choir at the Chamber Office
3 – 5:30 p.m. Free Wagon Rides sponsored by Garrett-Cardaras Funeral Home. Rides begin and end at the Funeral Home. Rides are free but tickets are required.
3-6 p.m. Line Dancing Lessons by VCU at the Library
3-6 p.m. Christmas Stories by VCU in the Vinton County National Bank Lobby
3 – 6 p.m. Instant Holiday Poems by Joy Dickerson at Chamber Office
3:15-3:45 Methodist Church Choir in the Church Sanctuary
3:30—4 Maranatha at the Courthouse Steps
3:45—5:30 Methodist Church Choir Caroling around town
4-4:15 p.m. Tower of Refuge Junior Choir Bell Ensemble at Courthouse
4:30-5 VCHS Choir on the Courthouse Steps
5-5:30 Tower of Refuge Jr. Drama Team on the Courthouse Steps
5:30-6 Tower of Refuge Drama Team on the Courthouse Steps
5:55 p.m. Decorating contest ballots and $100 Punch Cards Due in Cham ber Office. Drawing to will be at 6 p.m. Sponsored by Pro bate/Juvenile Judge Bob Grillo
6 p.m. Christmas Parade. Santa will appear at the Courthouse following the parade
7 p.m. The Sleigh Bell Ball sponsored by the VC Jaycees at the Fire Hall
**Free Children’s Christmas activity books provided by Remy’s Mobile Homes at these locations.
To cap off the day, the Vinton County Jaycees will host a Sleigh Bell Ball at 7 p.m. at the McArthur Fire Hall. Tickets are $10 per person or $15 per couple and can be purchased in advance at the Chamber Office. Semi formal dress is requested but not required.
This is the Vinton County Chamber of Commerce’s gift to the community and we sincerely hope you will come out and spend the day with us. There are lots of free things to do and inexpensive things to buy and we do have a wonderful time!